I received my assignment 1 feedback last week, and there are a couple of points I would like to reflect upon.
- My learning log/blog is well organised and engaging.
- I am showing good visual and contextual knowledge and understanding.
- My learning is progressing through self-directed learning and further studies.
- I have shown care and attention when experimenting with the hole punching.
- My sketchbook presentation is neat.
- My assignment is an effective narrative of my journey.
- I have set my own action points to take ownership of my own learning.
- My reflection on the Spiral Jetty and Spirals was particularly strong.
Points to Improve/Consider
- Explore different ways of presenting ideas e.g. through lens based media.
- When lifting action points for future work, take time to think about the steps to achieve those points.
- Use the ideas in How to Write About Contemporary Art to develop different ways to write about work.
- Develop use of Harvard academic referencing and academic structure to work using more quotes and comparative discussions.
- Include images of past work and ideas for future work within blog.
- Experiment with new ideas and materials.
- Discuss ideas with peers and take part in group work.
Ideas for future work
My tutor has suggested using the hole punching as a prop for photographic or video work in different locations, connecting the word time to specific situations, and allowing you to capture the light through the perforations in the paper, by displaying it on a window, or taking it outside and documenting at different times of day to emphasise the context of the work.
Another idea is to photograph found spirals within my local environment, or create my own, or combine the hole punching technique within this context.
Overall I am very pleased with the comments received. I know there is no formal mark to this part of the course, but it is still nice to receive a positive critique. I have spent a lot of time getting my blog set up to be easy to navigate, I chose not to use the standard OCA template which has meant a little extra work on my part but I feel it was worth it.
Academic referencing is something I have done in the past, I think I am just out of the habit of doing so and so will endeavour to include these in my next submissions.
I am feeling more confident that I know how to progress in the next assignment now. I am just feeling with the time of year, that study time is going to be the biggest challenge, but I will try to stay disciplined and stick to my doing something every day.