Why do we read when we study?
I am hugely passionate about reading about subjects. Reading gives you an insight into the mind of other people in a very intimate way. It is the way we share ideas, collaborate, challenge our own ideas and knowledge, develop our understanding and find new ways of working.
Suggested Reading List
- Make notes when reading
- Don’t feel you have to read the whole book
- Read journal abstracts
- Keep an annotated Bibliography
- Survey (Skim) – Look through the chapter to get a feel of what it is about. Skim the content to check prior understanding and look for what is useful and interesting.
- Question – Examine the text in detail. Ask questions about what you are reading. Highlight sections.
- Read – Go back through your highlights and read again carefully.
- Recall – Outline the main points in your own words to check understanding.
- Review – Read the text again to make notes on anything missed. Is there further reading you need to do?